If you’re looking to shed some extra pounds, consider using weight loss supplements to help you reach your goals. With so many options available, choosing the best one for you can be overwhelming. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best new weight loss supplements of the year to make your decision easier.
Best New Weight Loss Supplements
According to the World Health Organization (2012), being Overweight may be defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that impairs health . Research shows that In 2008 about 1.46 billion people worldwide suffered from being overweight, and 504 million were people with obesity . Here are the best new weight loss supplements to try if you want to lose weight.
Phentermine is a prescription medication you take by mouth. Phenetamine works by decreasing appetite and increasing metabolism, which leads to weight loss. Several studies have shown that phentermine can lead to weight loss , although the evidence could be stronger. Look no further, click here to order.
Phentermine is, however, considered safe. But common side effects include:
- increased heart rate
2. Garcinia Cambogia Extract
Garcinia cambogia extract originates from the rind of the Garcinia cambogia fruit, which is native to Indonesia . It is known for having a lot of hydroxycitric acid (HCA). HCA helps with weight loss by stopping the enzyme that turns sugars and starches into fat and making people feel less hungry.
Studies have shown that Garcinia Cambogia extract can lead to modest weight loss, although the evidence is not strong . Don’t run around town trying to find HCA, but you can order it here on Amazon.
It is safe, but some people may experience side effects such as:
- digestive tract
3. Green Coffee Bean
Extract Green coffee bean extract is made from unroasted coffee beans and is high in chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid contains several weight-loss properties. It is thought to work by reducing the absorption of fat and glucose in the gut, as well as by lowering insulin levels and increasing metabolism.
Several studies have shown that green coffee bean extract can lead to weight loss, although the evidence is mixed . You can order it here on Amazon.
It is generally considered safe, but common side effects include:
- upset stomach
Forskolin is a chemical compound found in the roots of the Indian coleus plant. It is thought to work by increasing the production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP), a molecule that helps regulate fat metabolism.
Some studies have shown that forskolin can lead to weight loss and increased lean body mass, although the evidence could be stronger . You can order it here on Amazon.
It is generally considered safe, but it can cause side effects such as
- low blood pressure
- rapid heartbeat
5. Raspberry Ketones
Raspberry ketones are chemicals found in raspberries. They help with weight loss by increasing the production of a hormone called adiponectin, which is important in fat metabolism.
Some studies have shown that raspberry ketones can lead to weight loss, although the evidence is limited . You can order it here on Amazon.
It is generally considered safe but can cause side effects such as:
- upset stomach
6. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a type of fatty acid found in dairy products and meat. CLA helps with weight loss by reducing the amount of fat stored in the body and increasing metabolism.
Some studies have shown that CLA can lead to weight loss and increased muscle mass, although the evidence is mixed . It has common side effects, such as:
- stomach cramps
Orlistat is a prescription medication that you can take by mouth (orally). The drug works by blocking the gut’s enzyme that breaks down fats, which leads to reduced fat absorption and weight loss.
Recent studies have shown that orlistat can lead to weight loss, although the evidence could be stronger . You can order it here on Amazon.
Common side effects include:
- stomach pain
- rectal bleeding
Liraglutide is a prescription medication that is available in injection form. Liraglutide acts by increasing the feeling of fullness, and slowing the emptying of the stomach, leading to weight loss.
Some studies have shown that liraglutide can lead to weight loss . The drug is said to be safe but can cause side effects such as:
Belviq is a prescription medication that is taken by mouth. It works by activating a serotonin receptor in the brain, which helps to decrease appetite and increase feelings of fullness.
Some studies have shown that Belviq can lead to weight loss, although more studies and evidence are recommended . It is generally considered safe but can cause side effects such as:
Qsymia is a prescription medication that is available in oral doses. It is a combination of phentermine and topiramate, and it works by making you feel less hungry and more full. Recent studies have shown that Qsymia can lead to weight loss , although more research is recommended to help manage obesity.
It is considered safe, but it can cause side effects such as:
- tingling in the hands and feet
- dry mouth
Overall, it is essential to remember that weight loss supplements are not a magic solution for losing weight. For these supplements to work, you should use them with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Talk to your doctor before starting any new supplement because it may interact with other medicines or cause side effects.
- Obesity and overweight [Internet]. [cited 2023 Jan 4]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight
- Finucane MM, Stevens GA, Cowan MJ, Danaei G, Lin JK, Paciorek CJ, et al. National, regional, and global trends in body-mass index since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 960 country-years and 9·1 million participants. The Lancet [Internet]. 2011 Feb [cited 2023 Jan 4];377(9765):557–67. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0140673610620375
- Khera R, Murad MH, Chandar AK, Dulai PS, Wang Z, Prokop LJ, et al. Association of pharmacological treatments for obesity with weight loss and adverse events: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA [Internet]. 2016 Jun 14 [cited 2023 Jan 4];315(22):2424. Available from: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?doi=10.1001/jama.2016.7602
- Mena-García A, Bellaizac-Riascos AJ, Rada-Mendoza M, Chito-Trujillo DM, Ruiz-Matute AI, Sanz ML. Quality evaluation of dietary supplements for weight loss based on garcinia cambogia. Nutrients [Internet]. 2022 Jul 27 [cited 2023 Jan 4];14(15):3077. Available from: https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/14/15/3077
- Maia-Landim A, Ramírez JM, Lancho C, Poblador MS, Lancho JL. Long-term effects of Garcinia cambogia/Glucomannan on weight loss in people with obesity, PLIN4, FTO and Trp64Arg polymorphisms. BMC Complement Altern Med [Internet]. 2018 Dec [cited 2023 Jan 4];18(1):26. Available from: https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-018-2099-7
- Shimoda H, Seki E, Aitani M. Inhibitory effect of green coffee bean extract on fat accumulation and body weight gain in mice. BMC Complement Altern Med [Internet]. 2006 Dec [cited 2023 Jan 4];6(1):9. Available from: https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-6-9
- Chen JY, Peng SY, Cheng YH, Lee IT, Yu YH. Effect of forskolin on body weight, glucose metabolism and adipocyte size of diet-induced obesity in mice. Animals [Internet]. 2021 Mar 1 [cited 2023 Jan 4];11(3):645. Available from: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/11/3/645
- Lopez HL, Ziegenfuss TN, Hofheins JE, et al. Eight weeks of supplementation with a multi-ingredient weight loss product enhances body composition, reduces hip and waist girth, and increases energy levels in overweight men and women. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013;10(1):22. Published 2013 Apr 19. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-22
- Ibrahim KS, El-Sayed EM. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid and medium-chain triglycerides for obesity management. J Biosci [Internet]. 2021 Dec [cited 2023 Jan 4];46(1):12. Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s12038-020-00133-3
- Rubino D, Abrahamsson N, Davies M, Hesse D, Greenway FL, Jensen C, et al. Effect of continued weekly subcutaneous semaglutide vs placebo on weight loss maintenance in adults with overweight or obesity: the step 4 randomized clinical trial. JAMA [Internet]. 2021 Apr 13 [cited 2023 Jan 4];325(14):1414. Available from: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777886
- Whitten JS. Liraglutide (Saxenda) for weight loss. afp [Internet]. 2016 Jul 15 [cited 2023 Jan 4];94(2):161–6. Available from: https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2016/0715/p161.html
- Narayanaswami V, Dwoskin LP. Obesity: Current and potential pharmacotherapeutics and targets. Pharmacology & Therapeutics [Internet]. 2017 Feb [cited 2023 Jan 4];170:116–47. Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0163725816301942
- Acosta A, Camilleri M, Abu Dayyeh B, Calderon G, Gonzalez D, McRae A, et al. Selection of antiobesity medications based on phenotypes enhances weight loss: a pragmatic trial in an obesity clinic. Obesity [Internet]. 2021 Apr [cited 2023 Jan 4];29(4):662–71. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.23120